Flavia Coffee Enquiry

This is an update to a story I put online a few years ago, documenting emails between myself and a hot drink supplying company called Flavia, discussing a concern I had.

I did re-read the original 2009 blog post recently, and was unhappy with a few parts of it, so I have re-written the inbetween sections. Obviously the emails are word for word as was received and sent between Flavia and myself, so it would be wrong to amend them and falsify chats, but the bits of descriptive text between emails have been redone. And as there had been further contact, I wanted to update everything.

At work we have Flavia hot drinks machines. You select a hot drink sachet from the range of sachets, insert it into the Flavia machine, and it makes a hot drink. There are teas, coffees and hot chocolate to choose from.

So I decided to email the company Flavia with a concern I had. My concern was about their coffees sachets. The sachets state that the strengths of coffee go from 1 to 7, (1 being the weakest and 7 being the strongest,) but having searched our stock I couldn’t find any sachets that were strength 1.

So I filled in the “contact us” section of the Flavia website.

Inquiry Type: Question
First name: Craig
Last name: Anderson
How did you learn about FLAVIA: We use Flavia here.
Message Text: The coffee sachets that you sell range in strength from 1 to 7, but none of the coffees are strength 1. Why is that? Even the decaf is strength 2.

Why doesn’t the scale go from 1 to 6 instead of 1 to 7?

A day after sending this email, and before I had received a reply, I realised that there were also no strength 6 or strength 7 coffees. Even their website didn’t list coffees over strength 5. It appeared that their strength scale went from 1 – 7, but didn’t include 1s, 6s and 7s.

Then I received a reply…

From: On Behalf Of Flavia
Sent: 11 December 2008 09:45
To: Craig Anderson
Cc: Flavia
Subject: RE: Contact Me Regarding myflavia.com
Dear Mr Anderson,
Thank you for contacting Flavia with your inquiry. We appreciate hearing from you and will be happy to help you out.
We rate them on a scale of 1-5.
Our ratings are:
Mild #2
Medium #3
Strong #4
Strongest #5
Sumatra (5+)

Our flavoured coffee (Hazelnut) is not rated by strength. You can see these ratings on the product menu on www.myflavia.com

This page will detail out the strength ratings and you can make your selections accordingly.

Once again, thank you for contacting Flavia. Please feel free to contact us again should you need further assistance. Have a great day!

Sincerely,
Flavia Customer Service

It’s really good that they do reply. I’ve contacted a few companies over the years that you never hear from again, Haribo being one of them. But Flavia did a fine job of getting back to me.

But I felt their answer was a little generic and that they hadn’t addressed my actual question.

I prepared a reply, including my new findings that there were no 6s or 7s.

> —–Original Message—–
From: Craig Anderson
Sent: Thursday, December 11, 2008 12:19 PM
To: Flavia
Subject: RE: Contact Me Regarding myflavia.com
Hi again.
Thanks for your reply explaining the strength-of-coffee situation, but your reply raises further questions.
If the coffees are rated from 1 to 5, then why do our sachets here show 1 to 7?

Also, why are there no coffees of strength 1, 6, or 7? They all range in strength from 2 to 5.

So if none of the coffees are strength 1, 6, or 7, they why don’t you move the numbers down so the strength indicators go from 1 to 4?

By the way, I’m not complaining, I’m just really curious.

Craig Anderson.

I thought that was nice and concise. Nice short email, that gets straight to the point. But would they have an answer…

> —–Original Message—–
From: Flavia
Sent: 12 December 2008 15:22
To: Craig Anderson; Flavia
Subject: RE: Contact Me Regarding myflavia.com
Dear Mr Anderson,

We apologize for the mistake as it is just a print mistake on the filterpacks and the range should go from 1 to 5 and not 1 to 7.

Have a nice day.

Sincerely,
Flavia Customer Service

They answered the “6 and 7” thing, but I was still none the wiser about the lack of “1”s in the range. Why should it go from 1 to 5 if there are no 1s?

I didn’t think I was getting my point across fully, and felt this needed addressing. I replied, but concentrating on just the lack of 1s.

From: Craig Anderson
Sent: Friday, December 12, 2008 6:15 PM
To: Flavia
Subject: RE: Contact Me Regarding myflavia.com
Hi.

Thanks for your reply, clarifying the situation regarding the 6’s and 7’s. I now understand about those two, and will ignore them. Phew! That is one big load off my mind!

The only tiny thing I still don’t understand is, the point from my original contact, that none of the coffees are strength 1. The scale goes from 1 to 5, but no coffees seem to be strength 1.

Even in your explanation of the ratings, your description started at #2 (Mild), omitting #1 entirely.

So do the coffee strengths actually only go from 2 to 5?

It’s a bit of an anomaly if they do as all other scales, as far as I can see through personal experience and extensive internet research, start at 1. They HAVE to, otherwise it’s like asking someone how much they like something on a scale of 4 to 9, or asking someone to give a rating on a scale of 3 to 7, but not to use 4.

If “1” is a secret flavour that only Flavia employees are allowed to know about, don’t worry – I won’t tell anyone! You can let me in on the secret, secure in the knowledge that this inside information will go no further. Your secret will be safe with me!

So, just to recap……. What is strength 1? Is it a secret flavour?

Are there any coffees that are strength 1?

And if there are no coffees of strength 1, does your strength scale actually go from 2 to 5?

Thank you so much for tolerating my questions! I was worried that I might get ignored as my questions may seem petty and argumentative. I really do not mean them to be, and I do feel bad for pestering you, but you are my only hope in a world of chaos.

Craig Anderson.

They COULDN’T avoid answering my original question now, could they? That was all I’d asked them.

—–Original Message—–
From: Flavia
Sent: 15 December 2008 12:44
To: Craig Anderson; Flavia
Subject:RE: Contact Me Regarding myflavia.com
Dear Mr Anderson,

Thank you for your update.

We have no answer yet and are dealing with this matter.

Best regards,
Flavia Customer Service

DAMN! Fobbed off!

I waited a couple of months to allow them time to look into it, then I emailed them back asking if they have dealt with it yet.

—–Original Message—–
From: Craig Anderson
Sent: January 11, 2009 12:26 PM
To: Flavia
Subject: RE: Contact Me Regarding myflavia.com

Hi again.

Sorry to have to nudge you about this, but is there an answer to my query yet? I can only imagine the problems involved in finding out if the Flavia scale goes from 1 to 5 or 2 to 5. Personally, if a query like this came up where I work, I wouldn’t know who to ask or where to start so I can fully appreciate the confusion a query like this must bring.

If it isn’t yourself that normally deals with this kind of query, again I fully understand. If this is the case, would you mind asking whoever would know something like this to get in touch with me.

Thanks again, and I hope your new year continues in a prosperous fashion.

Craig.

But I received no reply.

So I followed up with………

—–Original Message—–
From: Craig Anderson
Sent: Thursday, February 13, 2009 12:47 PM
To: Flavia
Subject: RE: Contact Me Regarding myflavia.com
Hi.

Would you be kind enough to update me on the status of this please? It has been almost two full months since I was told it was being dealt with.

Thanks in advance,

Craig Anderson.

But I received this….

—–Your message

To: s*****t@europe.pfsweb.com
Subject:

was deleted without being read on 17/02/2009 09:02.